- Step 1 Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the ham or pickled pork and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat begins to brown, 5-6 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage begins to brown,
- Step 2 Add the bay leaves, bell pepper, celery, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to brown,
- Step 3 Reduce heat to low. Add the garlic, salt, black pepper, cayenne, thyme, oregano, and cumin. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 4 Add the tomato and cook, stirring occasionally,
for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 5 Add the water and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes,
- Step 6 Add the beans. Cook, covered, for 1 hour.
- Step 7 Remove the lid and stir in the parsley. Raise heat to medium-low. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender and the broth has a gravy-like consistency, 1-1½ hours. Remove bay leaves and serve with cooked rice.
- 2 tbsp mild olive oil
- 2 cups ham or pickled pork, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups Andouille smoked sausage, sliced into half-rounds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 2 cups finely diced celery
- 3 cups finely diced yellow onion
- 4 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 tbsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp dried whole-leaf thyme
- 1 tsp dried whole-leaf oregano
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup finely diced canned tomato
- 8 cups water
- 1 lb. Blue Runner navy beans, washed
- 4 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley