- Heat the olive oil in a pot over high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Lower heat to Medium. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to High. Add the onions, celery, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn soft and clear and begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to Low. Add the garlic, salt, black pepper, thyme, and gumbo filé powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
Add the Blue Runner® Creole Gumbo Base and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to Medium-Low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Skim as needed to remove excess oil.
- Serve with cooked rice (see recipe).
- 2 Tablespoons mild olive oil
- 1 ½ cups (about half a pound) smoked sausage or Andouille, sliced lengthwise, then cut into half-moon shaped pieces, about ¼ “ thick
- 1 ½ cups boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about one pound)
- 1 cup diced yellow onions, ¼” pieces
- ¾ cup diced celery, ¼” pieces
- ¾ cup diced green bell pepper, ¼” pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon whole-leaf dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon gumbo filé powder (ground sassafras leaves)
- 2 25-oz. cans Blue Runner® Creole Gumbo Base for Chicken & Sausage Gumbo