The best way to cook duck, Ms. Lou knows you will not bake it any other way after trying this favorite.
- Step 1 Place the duck in a large container or a clean ice chest. Cover the duck with water. Add salt and cinnamon, and mix well. Brine in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least four hours.
- Step 2 Wash the duck with cold tap water inside and out. Drain and pat dry. Salt it lightly, and use your normal amount of cracked black pepper to taste.
- Step 3 Preheat oven to 375°F; empty the cavity of the duck and save innards. Stuff cavity of duck with the fresh vegetables, holding one onion aside, and place duck in a roasting pan breast side up.
- Step 4 Surround duck with neck, liver and gizzards. Do not put butter or water in the pan because the duck will baste its self. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 60 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered for additional thirty minutes. The duck is done when the leg separates easily from the body.
- Step 5 In a separate sauce pan add 2 tablespoons of duck drippings with 1 chopped onion. Sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are cooked. Add 1 1/2 cups of fig preserves. Simmer for 5-8 minutes. Debone the duck and serve with hot fig sauce on top.
- 1 4-5lb Chappapeela Duck
- 1 cup course Kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup cinnamon
- Container to hold ducks and brine
- 2 medium onions halved
- 3 medium carrots halved
- 3 stalks celery halved
- 1 jar homemade fig preserves